United States – Portugal: Fostering Transatlantic Growth of Marine Renewables
Join WavEC’s Annual Seminar and International B2B Meetings
Fostering Transatlantic Growth of Marine Renewables
United States — Portugal
October 9 - 10, 2014 | Lisbon, Portugal
09 October, Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon, Auditorium 2, Seminar
10 October, Luso-American Foundation, Lisbon, EEN – B2B Networking event
09 October 2014, Lisbon, Portugal – Seminar "Fostering Transatlantic Growth of Marine Renewables"
Venue: Gulbenkian Foundation
Portugal and the United States of America have joined efforts in 2014 to organize the WavEC Annual Seminar entitled “Fostering Transatlantic Growth of Marine Renewables".
The conference was organized in collaboration with the Embassy of the United States of America and American Chamber of Commerce in Portugal supported under the high patronage of His Excellency, the President of the Republic of Portugal and sponsorships of EDP, MDS, Generg, A. Silva Matos, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo Abogados, Rui Pena, Arnaut & Associados – Sociedade de Advogados, PwC, SystemicSphere, Vieira de Almeida and TA DMC.
New technologies and prototypes mean marine renewables are moving rapidly towards commercialization. Portugal is a leader among European countries in the development of renewable energy, namely offshore floating wind. Developing strategies that focus on industrialization, cost‐reduction and improvements in performance and reliability are of chief importance.
The Seminar was organized around four panel sessions, each focusing on a specific theme: Associated challenges to harnessing marine energy and solutions; Logistic requirements for marine energy development; Partnering with the private sector and co‐financing; United States – Portugal technical cooperation.
Speakers and experts from the United States, Portugal and Europe: Portuguese Minister of Energy and Secretary of State of the Sea, MIT Portugal, EDP Renewables, INESC TEC, WavEC, Luso‐American Development Foundation, Northwest National Renewable Energy, Ocean Renewable Energy Coalition, SeaPlan, Clean Reach and Principle Power, among others.
• Teresa Patrício Gouveia, Executive Director of Gulbenkian Foundation
• António Sarmento, President of WavEC
• Robert Sherman, U.S. Ambassador to Portugal
NEW WAVEC ASSOCIATES
• Tiago Andrade e Sousa, Director of ENONDAS/Ocean Plug
PANEL I: ASSOCIATED CHALLENGES TO HARNESSING MARINE ENERGY AND SOLUTIONS
Moderator: Miguel Marques, Economy of the Sea Partner at PwC – PricewaterhouseCoopers Portugal
• João Manso Neto, CEO of EDP Renewables – EDP Renewables: Offshore Wind Development
• Belinda Batten, Director at the Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy - Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center Support of Research, Development, and Testing
• Bill Staby, Chairman of the Board of Ocean Renewable Energy Coalition - Seawater Desalination – A Promising Commercial Application for Wave Energy
• Vladimiro Miranda, Diretor of INESC TEC and of OCEANUS - Marine Research and Innovation- TEC4SEA - Technological Platform for a Comprehensive Approach to the Ocean Challenges
• Michael Bullock, Director of Renewable Risk Advisers Ltd. representing MDS Consultores de Seguros e Risco - Reducing Risk and Insurance Cost in Marine Renewables
PANEL II: LOGISTIC REQUIREMENTS FOR MARINE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT
Moderator: Manuel Heitor, Professor and Director, Center for Innovation, Technology and Policy Research, IN+ at IST
• António Sarmento, President of WavEC - Portuguese Strategy for Offshore Renewable Energy
• Alberto Leão, Sales Director at Lankhorst & Ropes - Offshore Renewable Energy Mooring Challenges
• George Laird, Business Development Director at Dresser-Rand - Next Generation PTO
• Andrew Lipsky, Senior Partner at SeaPlan - Addressing Interactions between Offshore Wind Energy Development and Fisheries in the Northeastern U.S.
Artur Trindade, Secretary of State of Energy
PANEL III: PARTNERING WITH THE PRIVATE SECTOR AND CO-FINANCING
Moderator: Vanda Cascão, Partner at VdA, Vieira de Almeida & Associados
• Miguel Marques, Economy of the Sea Partner at PwC – PricewaterhouseCoopers Portugal - Private Sector Financing Challenges
• Conceição Moreno, Director at Cohesion and Development Agency - Support to R&D and Innovation in Portugal 2020
• Stephanie Thornton, CEO of Clean Reach - Crowdfunding for Renewable Energy Project Success
• Carlos Figueiredo, Managing Director, Head of Project Finance at Caixa - Banco de Investimento - CaixaBI Experience in Renewables Financing (soon available)
• Alla Weinstein, CEO of Principle Power - Funding in USA and Portugal: PPI Experience
PANEL IV: UNITED STATES – PORTUGAL TECHNICAL COOPERATION
Moderator: Pedro Veiga, Professor at Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
• Paulo Ferrão, National Director of the MIT-Portugal Program – Energy Research in MIT Portugal Program
• Robert Thresher, Research Fellow at NREL - Offshore Renewable Energy Research and Development in the U.S.
• Teresa Simas / Marco Alves, Head of the Marine Environmental Area / Head of the Numerical Simulation Area - WavEC Experience in Partnering with the US
• António Sarmento, President of WavEC
• Manuel Pinto de Abreu, Secretary of State of the Sea
10 October 2014, Lisbon, Portugal –Enterprise Europe Network B2B: "Fostering Transatlantic Growth of Marine Renewables"
Venue: Luso-American Foundation, Lisbon
9:15 h: Registration
9:45 h: Opening Session: FLAD and B2B organizers
10.00 h to 17.00 h: B2B meetings
An International B2B networking event, promoted by the Enterprise Europe Network Portugal, through the Portuguese Innovation Agency (ADI) with the support of the Luso-American Foundation was held on October 10th, 2014.
It brought together several companies, clusters, universities and R&D institutions and funding stakeholders, from Europe and the United States.
It was an excellent opportunity for European and American research and industry players in marine renewables to meet potential partners for future commercial agreements, R&D cooperation projects and technology transfer.
10 October 2014 - Strategies for Crowdfunding Success
Clean Reach, LLC
Schedule: 14h30 – 16h00
Venue: Startup Lisboa
Following the Seminar “Fostering Transatlantic Growth of Marine Renewables” and the presence of speaker Stephanie Thornton, CEO of Clean Reach, a workshop about Crowdfunding took place on the 10th October 2014, organized by this entity with the collaboration of WavEC Offshore Renewables.
For more information about this event:
Janete Gonçalves | WavEC Portugal | firstname.lastname@example.org | +351 218 482 655
Pedro Ferreira | U.S. Commercial Service Portugal | email@example.com | +351 217 702 572
Rita Silva | EEN Portugal | firstname.lastname@example.org | +351 214 232 100