OceanPixel Pte Ltd (OP) is a Singapore start-up company spun off from the Energy Research Institute at Nanyang Technological University (ERI@N).
Our commitment is to do more and better, through innovation, development and transfer of knowledge processes.
• To develop sustainable solutions for the blue economy through innovation, knowledge transfer and dissemination
• To promote the development of a national value chain with strong potential for exports and based on innovation and qualified personnel
VIEW SERVICES WavEC At a Glance
WavEC Offshore Renewables was founded in 2003 - under the name Wave Energy Centre - as a private non-profit association aiming to develop wave energy and support companies and research centres in the area, through technical and political strategies.
In 2013 WavEC changed its name to WavEC Offshore Renewables due to the extension of activities into offshore wind and prospect of expansion to other fields. WavEC defined as its mission to develop offshore renewable energy through the creation and transfer of knowledge, innovation and dissemination.
More recently WavEC extending the scope of activities to offshore aquaculture and ocean engineering projects.
- Foundation of the Wave Energy Centre
- First study Potential and Strategy for the Development of Wave Energy in Portugal for Energy and Geology Directorate General
- Start of refurbishment of the Wave Energy Pico Plant (Programme DEMTEC/PRIME – Ministry of Economy and Consortium of WavEC associates)
- Support to the 2 MW pilot plant AWS (Archimedes Wave Swing) offshore Póvoa do Varzim, Portugal (wave energy)
- WAVETRAIN project: A new generation of researchers in the field of wave energy, led by WavEC (FP6, EU) - 2004-2008
- Start of the support to the Executive Committee Secretariat of Ocean Energy Systems Energy Technology Collaboration Programme of the International Energy Agency.
- Study Preliminary Site Selection Study for Demonstration Wave Farms in Portugal, Multinational oil company
- WavEC is co-founder of OEE - Ocean Energy Europe
- Public Session Refurbishment of the Wave Energy Pico Plant
- WAVETRAIN international short course Wave Energy Realities – Pico Island, Azores
- First study on Offshore wind: Offshore Wind: Status & Opportunities, requested by EDP Portugal
- First WavEC Seminar Marine Renewable Energy in Portugal
- WAVETRAIN2 project: An European Initial Training Network, led by WavEC (FP7, EU) - 2008-2012
- Participation in SURGE project, test and assess of the Finnish WaveRoller device, near Peniche (FP7, EU) - 2009-2012
- Offshore Wind: Study Licensing Process WindFloat, for Principle Power
- Public Entities Training Courses (co-organised by Maritime Affairs)
- Colaboration with Portuguese Maritime Magazine Revista de Marinha - Since 2010
- Participation in creation of EERA Marine (European Energy Research Alliance)
- Participation in MARINET project: Marine Renewables Infrastructure Network (wave and currents) (FP7, EU) - 2011-2015
- Participation in DEMOWFLOAT project: Demonstration of offshore wind technology WindFloat, offshore Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal (FP7, EU) - 2011-2016
- Public Session WindFloat Project in Portugal, Póvoa de Varzim
- Environmental monitoring of the WindFloat
- Wave Energy Centre changes the name to WavEC Offshore Renewables and creates a new Logo, reflecting the expansion of competencies to offshore wind energy
- Participation in working group OC4 - Offshore Code Comparison Collaboration Continuation
- Participation in working group OES Annex V, Exchange and Assessment of Ocean Energy device Project Information and Experience
- OCEANET project: Marie Curie Actions - Initial Training Network, led by WavEC (FP7, EU) - 2013-2017
- Strategic support in the field of ocean energy for the Ministry of Energy of Chile
- Marine energy potential assessment in Costa Rica (Instituto Costarricense de Electricidade)
- WavEC’s 10th Anniversary celebration event
- WETFEET project: New engineering concepts and components in wave energy, led by WavEC (H2020, EU) - 2014-2018
- Start of EUREC MSc in Renewable Energy – Ocean Energy (EUREC - European Renewable Energy Centres Agency)
- Startup of Marine Biology and Oceanography Laboratory
- Pro-Drone, the first spin-off of WavEC in the field of wind turbine inspection and monitoring with UAVs (drones)
- First activity in ocean engineering solutions: Test of anticorrosive painting on an offshore installation in Norway
- Preparation of Licensing Guidance for Marine Renewable Energy Projects in Portugal
- WavEC joins the governmental working group responsible for the development of the report Ocean Energy: Roadmap for an Industrial Strategy of Renewable Ocean Energy
- Preparation of the decommissioning plan of the WindFloat
- Memorandum of understanding with company LOC (London Offshore Consultants) for the expansion of activity to offshore wind farm engineering
- First work in the field of offshore aquaculture: Numerical modelling of an aquaculture structure
- Support to the development and set-up of the AIR Centre, Atlantic - International Research Centre, a network for international cooperation along and across the Atlantic
- Applications for two patents, one in wave energy and another in underwater robotics
- KRAKEN project: Development of a robotic arm for offshore operations. Project led by WavEC (OCEANERA-NET/FCT) - 2017-2019
- Creation of two new business fields, Offshore Renewable Energies and Aquaculture and Special Engineering Projects
- Certified by ANI as a Technological Interface Centre (TIC), serving as a link between higher education institutions and companies.
- Successful completion of WETFEET project in wave energy technologies, funded by the European Commission's H2020 programme, coordinated by WavEC during 4 years.
- Certified to ISO 9001 Quality Management, by the International Certification Company (EIC)
- Approval of TWIND project, coordinated by WavEC, financed by the European Commission's H2020 programme, aiming to develop technological and scientific capacity in Portugal in the area of offshore wind energy
- Relevant skills improvement on offshore wind farms O&M strategies
- Moving to a new office in the Port of Lisbon
- New initiative driven by WavEC in collaboration with CoLab +Atlantic, CEIIA, INESC TEC and Fórum Oceano: OceanACT aiming to boosting marine renewable energy testing infrastructures in Portugal (in the two existing ocean infrastructures 1. Aguçadoura test site and 2. Viana do Castelo Pilot Zone)
- First project focusing on the development, in Portugal, of hydrogen production based on offshore wind energy – Project BEYOND. Financed by the EEA Grants and led by EDP New
WavEC is formed by a multidisciplinary team specialized in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Computers, Industrial Management, Biology, Environment, Economics and Business Studies.
President of the Board of DirectorsVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering at Instituto Superior Técnico (IST) from the University of Lisbon. Retired (2013) Associate Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of IST.
Founder and President of WavEC Offshore Renewables. Founder and member of the Board of OEE (Ocean Energy Europe, previously the European Association of Ocean Energy) until 2016. Associate Editor of JOWE (Journal of Ocean and Wind Energy). Active in the field of marine renewable energy for almost four decades with work on hydrodynamics, control, conceptual design, LCOE and public policies.
José Chambel Leitão
Member of the Board of Directors - HidromodVIEW BIOGRAPHY
José Chambel Leitão has a Civil Engineering degree and a Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Lisbon. He has about 30-year experience in consultancy and operational systems in the areas of wind wave’s propagation, hydrodynamics, water quality and dispersion problems, hydrology and river basin management. He is a Director at Wavec and one of the managers of HIDROMOD.
Member of the Board of Directors - ENONDASVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Member of the Board of Directors - EDPIVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Pedro Valverde is responsible for the Cleaner Energy field of EDP Innovation and advisor of the director of “Les éoliennes flottantes du golfe du Lion”, an offshore wind project in southern France. He is member of the board of directors of WavEC. Since 2008 he has been involved in the WindFloat project in Portugal as member of the Executive Committee. He works with the venture-capital fund of EDP Innovation. McS degree in Electronics and Computers from IST University and post graduation in Project Management and Assessment from Catholic University Portugal.
Member of the Board of Directors - ASM IndustriesVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Ricardo start to serve A. Silva Matos (ASM) in 2008 and he is currently the Chief Commercial Officer of ASM Industries, a company that operates in the field of manufacturing of steel equipment for renewable and marine industries, such as wind towers, offshore foundations and marine structures. He has a Degree in Environmental Engineering and a Pos Grad in Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, both in University of Aveiro. He also has a MBA in Catolica Porto Business School and a Pos-Grad in Sales Management, in Porto Business School.
Member of the Advisory Board - Plocan SpainVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Member of the Advisory Board - EDP Innovation PortugalVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Member of the Advisory Board - Nørd NorwayVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Member of the Advisory Board - Atlantic PortugalVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Member of the Advisory Board - LOC Group UKVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Ana Brito Melo
Senior Advisor & Head of Strategic StudiesVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Ana Brito e Melo holds a PhD (2000) and a Master (1995) in Mechanical Engineering and 5-year degree in Civil Engineering (1992) from the IST (Instituto Superior Técnico) of the Technical University in Lisbon. Ana has more than 20 years of experience in marine renewable energies, starting from tank tests and numerical modelling, towards technology assessment, site selection and market studies. She was Executive Director of WavEC during 8 years (Jan 2012 – July 2020). She is further responsible for running the secretariat and communication of the IEA-OES.
Communication ManagerVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Post Graduate Student of Digital Marketing at IPAM Marketing School (2020-2021). Degree in Social and Cultural Communication at the Universidade Católica de Lisboa (1998). Experienced communication professional responsible for all communication and dissemination activities within WavEC and its projects. Skilled in communication planning, digital & social media and offline content creation, event management, public outreach and engagement, and internal communication. www.linkedin.com/in/janetegoncalves
Carolina João da Silva
Communication AssistantVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Head of Economy and Business DevelopmentVIEW BIOGRAPHY
PhD in Mechanical Engineering by Instituto Superior Técnico (IST). Degree in Oceanography/Meteorology by Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa (FCUL). Senior researcher and project manager in offshore renewable energy projects. Research and consultancy activity in offshore renewable energy economics, resource assessment and site selection.
Project ManagerVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Junior ResearcherVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Master’s degree in Renewable Energy Systems Technology at Loughborough University, UK, with specialisation in offshore wind and advanced solar. Craig worked in solar system design and smart buildings at Swansea University for 2 years, before moving to Lisbon in 2019. Craig joined WavEC in 2020 in the scope of the FLOAWER ITN to work on the development of techno-economic tools and databases for offshore wind and he will enroll in a PhD from Instituto Superior Técnico.
Head of Engineering and OperationsVIEW BIOGRAPHY
5-year diploma in Civil Engineering with further postgraduate studies in Steel and Composite Structures complemented by an Executive MBA. Filipe accumulates 13 years of engineering experience, including 4 years in the Norwegian subsea sector. Previous roles included Integrity & Structural Analysis, Project Management, Team Management and Business Development.
Project Engineer, Electrical Components and InstrumentationVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Master degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, with specialization in Energy, at Instituto Superior Técnico, where he has done research on grid integration of offshore renewable energy. Paulo is working in the monitoring and technology department with focus on electrical components and instrumentation.
Project Engineer, Hardware ProjectsVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Francisco Correia da Fonseca
Offshore Operations SpecialistVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and Executive Master in Sustainable Energy Systems, from Instituto Superior Técnico, with specialization in offshore renewable energy systems. Experience in experimental testing of wave energy converters, control and ocean renewable resource assessment. Project manager in projects related to offshore operations for marine renewable energy systems.
Marine Renewables O&M Data EngineerVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Master in Electrotechnical Engineering and Computer Science at Instituto Superior Técnico in 2015”. He has worked in plastic packaging industry until 2018. Over this 3 years, he operated in areas such as automation, energy management and project management. In 2018, he joined WavEC to work as Marine Renewable O&M Data Engineer
Researcher in Marine Sciences and Environmental PoliciesVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Inês holds a Master’s degree in Marine Sciences from the University of Porto and is currently pursuing her PhD in Marine Sciences at the University of Lisbon. She has researched the environmental impacts of offshore renewable energy projects, focusing on benthic communities, underwater noise, biofouling growth and impacts on marine mammals caused by marine renewables’ and offshore wind devices. She is a lecturer in the European Masters in Renewable Energy at IST, on environmental aspects of offshore technologies, marine spatial planning and GIS tools to support renewable energy site selection.
Project Manager and Researcher, Marine BioacousticsVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Project Manager and Researcher, Marine CommunitiesVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Environmental Engineer/Project ManagerVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Research EngineerVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Head of the Financial Management and Secretariat AreaVIEW BIOGRAPHY
Financial AssistantVIEW BIOGRAPHY
WATERBORNE has been set up as an industry-oriented Technology Platform to establish a continuous dialogue between all waterborne stakeholders, such as classification societies, shipbuilders, shipowners, maritime equipment manufacturers, infrastructure and service providers, universities or research institutes, and with the EU Institutions, including Member States.
+ATLANTIC aims at advancing knowledge on the interactions between the Ocean, Atmosphere, Climate and Energy in the Atlantic, through an integrated and holistic approach from deep sea to space.
Escola Azul (Blue School) is an educational programme of the Portuguese Ministry of the Sea. Its main goal is to improve the level of Ocean Literacy in schools, creating responsible and active generations that contribute for the Ocean's sustainability. WavEC is one of the Escola Azul partners.
MERIC focuses on interdisciplinary research for harnessing marine renewable energy and adapting the existing technologies to the extreme conditions of Chile. WavEC partner since 2020.
An environmental engineering company that develops environmental engineering projects and solutions that seek compliance and balance between projects in renewable energy, industrial, mineral extraction, highways, railways, ports, airports, electricity generation and transmission and sanitation. WavEc partner since 2019.
The Chair of Wind Energy Technology objetive is to further research in the field of renewable energies and to promote Rostock as a leading location for the development of new wind energy technologies. WavEC partner since 2019.
Start-up comapny active in designing, manufacturing, assembling, installing, financing and operating offshore wind turbines. WavEC partner since 2019.
Numeca provides fast and reliable CFD software solutions for flow and multiphysics simulation, design and optimization.
WavEC represents Numeca in Portugal and South Africa.
Portuguese company with more than 20 years of experience of work with some of the major world producers in aquaculture. WavEC partner since 2017.
World leader company in Marine Warranty Services in the field of offshore oil and gas, offshore wind energy and maritime transport. WavEC partner since 2017.
Ocean Energy Systems Technology Collaboration Programme
WavEC is responsible for the secretariat of the Executive Committee
WavEC is member of the Board of Directors
European Energy Research Alliance. WavEC is member of the Board.
Association of Maritime Economy. WavEC is member since 2015
Established by the IEA Ocean Energy Systems (OES) in January 2010. WavEC is is the national delegate.
WavEC is Chair-invited Member since 2013.
Lisbon Ocean Innovation Centre
Very professional work. Pay attention also for the details that each different clients need with a customize profile. For this new sector, that´s important point to be marked. Each new project idea has a different level of development and technical skill for group and person. Wavec for our specific case, understand very well our needs.
O Parecer corresponde, integralmente, ao solicitado, tendo superado as minhas melhores expectativas. Excelente.
We had a very pleasant, cooperative contact from the beginning until the end of the project. WavEC was professional, well organised and pro-active. The turn-out of the project was beyond expectations. We certainly look forward to continue our cooperation in the future.
WavEC performed the work as it was expected and - in the uncertainty of the project - was able to produce a valid and compressive work. I recommend WavEC for all energy offshore projects as a most valid partner.
I have been working with WavEC in several projects for the last two years. I have had the opportunity to work closely with Antonio Sarmento, Marco Alves and Alex Raventos. To achieve Wedge Global’s rapid technology development in Europe and the US, we relied upon the talents of highly motivated people such as WavEC’s Team. We’ve got great results in different topics, hydrodinamic simulation, control strategies, system design and economic modelling, which have been crucial to our ongoing success. WavEC was pivotal in preparing and submitting applications for funding opportunitties in Europe and the US, and really helpful to entry into new geographies such as the US. During my interactions with the WavEC Team, I found them to be independent thinkers that considered not only near term issues but also longer term strategic concerns that placed our overall approach in an appropriate context. Their thinking shows that they can integrate big and very challenging problems. Furthermore, their ability to effectively communicate with others and sell ideas enabled us to promote our agenda broadly. In our two years of working together, WavEC improved our business and helped position Wedge Global as a reputable brand in the wave energy industry. In my opinion, WavEC should set up a branch in the US to improve the quality of its services.
Great job and already recommended to one of our shareholders IBERDROLA.
Fluid communication and collaborative working environment. High quality of results and positive availability to explain details on how those results were obtained
I am very happy to write to confirm that WavEC – Offshore Renewables (Portugal) are contributing to the IEE funded Project SOWFIA as leader of Work Package 4. The project runs from October 2010 to September 2013. WavEC’s contribution has been carried out in a professional manner and all tasks required at this point in time have fully completed according to the work programme. It is a pleasure to work with WavEC; the work has been to an excellent high standard and on time and we would be delighted to work with WavEC again, should the opportunity arise.