Viana do Castelo test site is available for pré-commercial projects (TRL 8 - 9) of floating offshore wind and wave energy conversion devices.
Such infrastructure encourages marine renewable energy development by enabling practical experience of installation, operation, maintenance and decommissioning activities for prototypes and farms.
- Managed by REN (the Portuguese TSO)
- Area: 11 km2
- 17 km distance from shore
- 80 MW capacity (upgradable to 200MW)
Creation: Decree Nº 5/2008 of 8 January
Base Lease: Decree Nº 238/2015 of 15 December
- Export cable ITT documentation preparation, support and technical evaluation for the Windfloat Atlantic project (2017)
- Evaluation of the potential effects of the electromagnetic fields caused by the electrical cable of the Windfloat Atlantic project (2017)
- Monitoring of reference conditions of noise and cetaceans of the Windfloat Atlantic project (2017)
- Monitoring plans for birdlife and water quality for the WindFloat Atlantic project (2018)
- Implementation of the environmental management plan of the WindFloat Atlantic project (2019)
- Water quality monitorization of the Windfloat Atlantic project (2019)
- Export cable engineering support to REN for the Windfloat Atlantic project (2019)
- Monitoring of cetaceans and underwater noise after the start of operation of the Windfloat Atlantic project (2020)